Welcome
Welcome to SuiJurisForum.com --- You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. Members of this FREE Community are able to gain access to write capabilities, private messaging, a chat room, extra forums, and more!

***If you decide to Join our FREE Community... then DON'T FORGET to PASS/SKIP the multiple ADVERTISEMENTS during Registration that ask for Phone Numbers!! ***

Sawyer water filters remove both bacteria & virii / viruses

Discuss anything about life situation.

Sawyer water filters remove both bacteria & virii / viruses

Postby grndslm » Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:22 am

Hopefully this first gravity water filter could remove ebola from your water supply until the end of your time....

Sawyer Products SP191 Point Zero Two Bucket Purifier Assembly Kit with Faucet Adapter
.02 Micron absolute hollow fiber membrane purifier
Removes 99.997% of viruses, 99.99999% of bacteria, and 99.9999% of Protozoa/Cysts

Or if you're feeling a little more risky (or in other words: RURAL and/or CHEAP), get the less expensive (~$20) one that isn't guaranteed to filter virii, but it only weighs 2 ounces yet is capable of removing virtually all bacteria from 100,000 gallons of water...

Sawyer Products Mini Water Filtration System
High performance filter fits in the palm of your hand, weighs 2 ounces and filters up to 100,000 gallons (30 times more than comparable filters)
Attaches to included drinking pouch, standard disposable water bottles, hydration packs, or use the straw to drink directly from your water source
Removes 7 log (99.99999%) of all bacteria and 6 log (99.9999%) of all protozoa
Sawyer's certified 0.1 micron absolute filter removes bacteria and protozoa at a higher rate than accepted EPA guidelines
A lawyer cannot claim that you have rights. -- U.S. v. Johnson, 76 F. Supp. 538

"When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty." -- Someone from the Confederacy, circa 1860
grndslm
Out of the State

Have thanks: 205 time

Re: Sawyer water filters remove both bacteria & virii / viru

Postby PHOSPHENE » Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:55 am

The OKO bottle has a filter in the cap, and you just squeeze the water out. No straws or pumps needed. Fill it up wherever you find water. They also make one with a flashlight built into the bottom.

OKO-Odyssey™ The Six-in-One Water Bottle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fFwGbAzLWw

ÖKO Filter Takes Color Out of Cola
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3IOJIk0Jeg

http://www.okoh2o.com/whatisoko.php#OKO-Level-2
ÖKO Level-2 filtration, originally developed through a NASA grant for space stations, is now available for consumer use. Simply put, it is the state-of-the-art in water filtration technology.
In addition to a 2 micron pore size, the material utilizes a positively charged electro-adsorption (attraction and retention) process to draw and trap harmful agents much smaller than its pore size. Charge fields, activated upon water contact extend 1 micron each to virtually close the pore to any intruding agents. ÖKO level-2 filter lab tests reflect removal of 99.994% of e-coli, 99.9999% of cryptosporidium and giardia lamblia, the most commonly found bacteria and microorganisms in lakes, streams and international water sources.
A stack of over 400 such pores in the 0.8mm thickness of the filter create a “tortuous path” which a harmful agent would have to travel through in order to make it across the filter membrane.
"This Constitution is said to have beautiful features; but when I come to examine these features, Sir, they appear to me horribly frightful" - Patrick Henry (June 7, 1788)
PHOSPHENE
Out of the State

Have thanks: 218 time

Postby Shuftin » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:19 pm

Will it remove fluoride? Or better yet. What WILL remove fluoride???
The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws. - Tacitus, Roman senator and historian (A.D. c.56-c.115)

The Government is the People, by the People, just not ---- YOU People. - Unknown

When neither their property nor their honor is touched, the majority of men live content. - Niccolo Machiavelli

The old police motto of TOprotect and servehas been replaced with YOU "comply or die.”

Better ten innocent Sheeple in jail than one guilty Person on the street! Blue Wall Of Modus Operandi
Shuftin
Out of Commerce

Have thanks: 373 time

Postby Shuftin » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:09 am

If it works so well. Why doesn't Sawyer water filters make a giant bulldozer sized water filter and sell it to, let's say, the MWA (Macon Water Authority)?

HHHHmmmmm?

Then I wouldn't need to buy one personally.
The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws. - Tacitus, Roman senator and historian (A.D. c.56-c.115)

The Government is the People, by the People, just not ---- YOU People. - Unknown

When neither their property nor their honor is touched, the majority of men live content. - Niccolo Machiavelli

The old police motto of TOprotect and servehas been replaced with YOU "comply or die.”

Better ten innocent Sheeple in jail than one guilty Person on the street! Blue Wall Of Modus Operandi
Shuftin
Out of Commerce

Have thanks: 373 time

Postby Shoonra » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:20 am

Some candid comments on the Sawyer system:

https://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=111777

In brief, it worked, but had limitations, and there were alternative methods that were a bit better.
/ Shoonra
"Rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft."
First Samuel 15:23

Shoonra has been thanked by:
Shoonra
Statist

Have thanks: 207 time

Postby PHOSPHENE » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:32 am

Shuftin wrote:Will it remove fluoride? Or better yet. What WILL remove fluoride???

No. Only reverse osmosis will remove fluoride. You can put an RO filter under a sink for about 300 bucks.

RO removes practically all particles from the water. The filter doesn't discriminate. The process removes beneficial minerals too. So people usually mix some back in afterwards.
"This Constitution is said to have beautiful features; but when I come to examine these features, Sir, they appear to me horribly frightful" - Patrick Henry (June 7, 1788)
PHOSPHENE
Out of the State

Have thanks: 218 time

Postby grndslm » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:29 pm

Thanks for the link, Shoonra. But I kinda missed the "limitations" and "better solutions"...

If anything, the two most common complaints were (1) the filter housing is made of plastic, and (2) the bag was terrible. The first problem is all hypothetical. And the guy that started talking about that admits he has one (probably more) himself. The second complaint is common, and that's why most people buy the Platypus bags at the same time. I bought some of their wine containers from Academy Sports becuase they were clearance, but my buddy has a bigger bag that can hold a couple gallons (not sure if that one's a Platypus, but I know he has at least one of those as well).

That's why I like the Sawyers better than the bottle filters. They are gravity fed. No need to exert any force, and you can filter multiple gallons while doing other "man things", like chopping wood, grilling meat, and making moonshine. :idea:

If you want to get rid of fluoride, a distillery is the best way, IMHO. There are other filters, particularly ones with aluminum or bone inside, but they are pretty limited for the purposes of "surviving"... at least IMO. This filter says it has a natural source of calcium (which I'm assuming is bone)...

http://www.pureeffectfilters.com/fluors ... ridge.html
Although Activated Alumina is effective for Fluoride Removal, comprehensive testing shows that FluorSorbTM has a consistently greater fluoride removal rate (apx. 20% more) and offers additional benefits such as: Raising Alkaline pH, and filtering some anionic (negatively charged) radioisotopes, heavy metals and chemicals.

Primary Purpose: For Effective Reduction of:

1. Fluoride
2. Arsenic
3. Lithium

Secondary Purpose: For Effective Reduction of:

4. Uranium
5. Radium
6. Plutonium
7. Heavy Metals
8. Organic Chemicals

Moral of the story is that, in Shoonra's link... you'll see the point made about the Sawyer filters that they are "the best filtration for your money" and "make great trade items". I've got a few of the Sawyer Minis for all of the above. I'm thinking about getting the Zero Point Two filter right now, because of the whole virus point. I'd much rather rid my water supply of virii than of fluoride... but that's just me.

Regardless of the filter you choose, make sure you use a pre-filter to prolong the life of the actual filter. If it were a serious situation, I'd use a handkerchief over a bucket of gravel, sand, and hopefully charcoal. Then hopefully another in-line charcoal filter. And then whichever Sawyer filter I felt necessary.

The only thing in Shoonra's link that I would possibly consider a "better solution" was the SteriPen. And it's definitely not better, but different. Would be great to use it in addition to a basic filter. Altho, again, in a survival situation... you're only gonna get 40 uses out of it [if you're lucky] before the batteries go kaput.

Sawyer filters (with pre-filters) and distilleries FTW!

As for the OKO, I've seen it before and more than likely chose against it because it doesn't last that long. I've seen a guy using the Sawyer filter to take out blue dye, which is supposedly one of the hardest things to do... removing dye coloring that has actually dissolved, as opposed to a particulate coloring. Another thing is that there are a few different Sawyer filters, so one person may be referring to the Squeeze model, which I really have no interest in, similar to the OKO. Looking for gravity-fed solutions. Much mo' easier. A distillery is definitely on my "To Buy" list, tho... for distilled water, of course!!! :ugeek:

"When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty." -- Someone from the Confederacy, circa 1860
grndslm
Out of the State

Postby grndslm » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:54 pm

Oh yea... forgot to mention that, in place of the SteriPen, leaving your filtered water outside for the sunlight to hit it should do virtually the same thing?? No batteries necessary!! :D

grndslm
Out of the State

Return to Living and Survival